07 January 2009

Volunteerism as Professional Development

In light of my current physical predicament and the ensuing medical developments thereby involved and keeping me out of the workforce for an extended period of time (well into 2010), I have begun to consider volunteerism as a valuable means to continue in my professional development, so as to develop my resume and to gain valuable skills in nonprofit program development for the prevention/advocacy and performance/visual arts fields.

My first order of business is to establish communication with various nonprofit organizations and networks seeking volunteer participation in their program development and services. I have already contacted CounterPULSE (an alternative arts organization in San Francisco, CA), ArtSpan (the producers of SF Open Studios, Young Nonprofit Professional Network | San Francisco Bay Area (YNPN/SFBA) and Project Open Hand (a local nutritional outreach program for HIV/AIDS positive individuals and the critically ill) for further information on volunteer opportunities.

In correspondance, I have made myself available to volunteer with numerous performance & programmatic events with CounterPULSE, and I have met in person with the Volunteer Coordinator of Project Open Hand. The YNPN/SFBA Volunteer Coordinator has also sent me via email a cursus of volunteer opportunities assisting in program development, events planning and administration for that network. I've yet to formally decide on which opportunities I am going to committedly pursue, expect of course for those opportunities I've already committed to with CounterPULSE. I will be attending a Volunteer Orientation for Project Open Hand on Wednesday evening next week, followed up by a TB Test and a Saturady 6-hour Volunteer Training to work in the Grocery Center or the Kitchen of Project Open Hand.

My primary concern is not to over-extend myself with too many commitments and activities, while at the same time filling my very empty daily schedule with tasks, responsibilities and events. I'm particularly interested in all of these volunteer opportunities that I've mentionned and would be willing to consider any additional opportunities that someone might suggest to me. I am however so far less interested in the YNPN/SFBA volunteer opportunities, as I do not yet hold any particular affinity to that group: a group that I was introduced to via my LinkedIn® affiliation & profile.

Another concern for participating in a variety of volunteer opportunities is my facial disfigurement and how it might impede on my involvements and participation. I will always be wearing a mask. My speech is slightly impaired due to the disfigurement. I am not necessarily at ease in public situations or when interacting with others; although, I do hope that in volunteering, I will be able to overcome my profound insecurities about my face. I don't know if any of the factors would prevent me from being able to participate as a volunteer for these organization, but they will certainly impose somewhat of a challenge for me to overcome.

Also, with regards to my professional development, I have just this evening sent via email my Cover Letter & Professional / Performance Resumes to CounterPULSE to be considered for a position as "Performing Diaspora Project Coordinator." I have previously applied for a position with CounterPULSE, but did not even receive a telephone response to my application submission, proving that they were not interested at that time. But with a new and improved Cover Letter and Resumes, I feel confident that they will be interested in talking with me more in-person about my credentials and my experience working in the Performing Arts and in Program Management.

If I do get the position, it will come as a great relief to the burden of the unending monotony of my daily life and would be a valuable way to continue in my professional career path part-time while also undergoing ongoing cycles of craniofacial reconstruction and recovery. Again, for this career opportunity, my facial disfigurement might easily deter from my appeal as a candidate for employment, as I've been told by a CounterPULSE representative before that my disfigurement & slight speech impediment would prevent me from executing the necessary responsibilities of public speaking related to any employment with the organization.

I will in the future plan on posting blog entries chronicling my involvement as a volunteer with whichever organizations I indeed initiate a relationship and participate with. So, for my avid blog following (who ever the innumerable few are!), be prepared for updates in the time to come... And wish me luck on my endeavors! I'll need it.

No comments :